Received or bought an orchid as a gift without an orchid bark? Who knows, you might wonder how to care for this orchid in a glass vase. That is just a bit different than orchids that are in their cultivation pot with bark.
Taking care of an orchid in a vase
Your new orchid in a vase is probably already showing off in a beautiful place in your home. Fortunately, caring for this orchid is not difficult. We are happy to help you care for these graceful orchids in water.
How should I care for an orchid in a vase?
- Make sure the roots of the orchid are in a small layer of water of about 3 centimeters. You can now leave the orchid like this for a week. Is the water in the vase empty after a week? Then you can refill it to a layer of about 3 centimeters. Do not water more than necessary; when too much water is given, the roots can rot. If the water runs out in less than a week, you can wait a while before watering. The roots are allowed to dry for a while. Make sure that the plug of the orchid (the spongy one in the middle) does not touch the water at the roots.
- The orchid in a vase likes a light spot, but be careful with direct sunlight. When an orchid is in direct sunlight, there is a good chance that the flowers and leaves will burn.
What is a hydroponic orchid?
Taking care of an orchid in a glass vase is caring for a hydroponic orchid. Hydroponics means that plants live on water, without soil.
We usually see Phalaenopsis orchids in a decorative pot, but these orchids are also suitable for standing on water. The Kolibri Orchids Root, or the hydroponic orchid, is an orchid whose decorative roots can breathe freely, just like in nature. Not only the flowers are beautiful, the roots can also be seen! That's why we put these Kolibri Orchids in a transparent vase.
Where can I buy a hydroponic orchid?
Van de Kolibri Orchids Root is only made in a small number. If you are looking for this concept and want to have an orchid in a glass vase at home, we recommend that you take a look at garden centers and florists. If they don't sell this concept, you can ask an employee of the plant department if they want to order it for you. Then you can pick it up in the store a few days later.
Unfortunately, the orchids in water are not for sale in our webshop, because the glass vase in which the orchid is delivered is too fragile for shipping. We would be sorry if the order is delivered damaged. Nevertheless, you can Kolibri Make Orchid Root yourself! In a few simple steps you can make your own hydroponic orchid in no time.
Make your own hydroponic orchid on water
Do you want to put an orchid in water yourself? Then make sure that you choose the Phalaenopsis orchid for this. This type of orchid is best suited for this.
How do I put an orchid on water?
- Add a layer of water to the vase of about 3 centimeters.
- Remove the orchid from the cultivation pot and carefully remove the bark from the roots.
- To completely clean the roots, give them a bath and use the water to remove the last bark residues. Note: Use room temperature water.
- Removed all the bark from the roots? Then you can place the orchid in the vase. Do this carefully. The roots of the plant must be clean and bark-free, otherwise the remains will spoil in the water. Make sure that the plug (the spongy one in the middle) does not touch the water.
Do you have any questions about taking care of your Kolibri Root or place an orchid on water yourself? Please feel free contact contact our customer service. We are happy to help you!