Care of succulents (Succulents)
Succulent (succulent) care & tips
How do you care for a succulent? That is a question on many people's minds. Fortunately, caring for a succulent is not difficult. They are easy houseplants to care for. A succulent is also called a succulent plant because they store their water in leaves or stems. They can store a lot of water in this because they originally come from warm and dry areas, such as South Africa, America and Mexico. Because succulents store a lot of water, they can survive longer in dry and hot temperatures. The succulent Latin name comes from the word sucus, which in Latin means juice.
How do you care for a green plant? Grower Rob Olsthoorn knows everything about green plant care and tells you all his care tips on this page.
Just a short summary:
Little water needed
Ideal temperature 18 to 22 degrees
Repot once every 1/3 years
Taking care of the succulent succulent or watering a succulent is not difficult. Taking care of a succulent means that it needs little water, because it stores its water in the greasy leaves that the green houseplant has.
When watering a succulent plant, it is always better to give too little than too much water. It is therefore best to water in small amounts. If the potting soil is still wet or damp, you do not need to add water. It is not good for the succulent plant if the soil is soaked or if a layer of water remains on the bottom. Spraying a succulent is basically not necessary, because it originally comes from areas that are very dry, the succulent is used to this. You can occasionally rinse the plant with water to remove dust from the succulent, for example.
TIP: Feel with your fingertip if the soil feels dry. Does it feel wet? Then wait a while before taking care of your succulent plant and only water it when the soil feels dry again.
Light and water
Due to the origin of the succulents, they are used to heat and a lot of light, so it does not matter where you place them in the house. Can a succulent plant in the sun? The answer to that is definitely yes! Succulents like both a sunny spot and a spot in the shade. Do you put a succulent plant in a dark place? Note that it needs less water, because a succulent plant uses less water here.
How fast does a succulent plant grow? Pretty fast, which is why you can also repot it regularly. To start repotting a succulent, it is best to use a pot that is 20% larger than the original pot.
When to repot a succulent? It is best to repot a succulent in the spring. At that moment the plant has its natural growth period. As a result, the roots, which may be damaged by repotting, will recover quickly. After repotting, it is smart to wait a few days before watering your succulent plant care.
A succulent plant or succulent uses few nutrients. You can imagine that in the drought it originally lives in, they don't get much nutrients from the soil. Succulents are not used to getting nutrients here. If you still want to give your succulent plant some nutrition in the house, we recommend that you do this in the spring. Using too much food is not good for your houseplant, always stick to the maximum amount of the instructions for use.
Succulent maintenance & pruning
Maintaining a succulent is not much work. There are a few different things you can do when caring for a succulent. Below we explain these steps of caring for succulents:
Why do leaves get brown tips on my succulent plant? A common phenomenon with a succulent plant is that the leaves start to discolour. These can be different colors, but usually you will see a brown color appear, this is a sign of too much water. Should this happen to you; then let your succulent plant dry for a longer period of time before watering again.
Since a succulent is not a very fast grower, pruning is usually not necessary. If you come across a leaf that is discolored, you can remove it. The succulent plant will therefore not give it any attention and energy. If you want to remove a leaf that has discolored during a transplant, it is best to do this by removing the stems as low as possible, taking care not to remove too much or to pull hard on the succulent plant.
Cutting a succulent plant can be done in two different ways. You can take a succulent cuttings by means of a leaf cutting or a head cutting. There are different cutting instructions for each type of succulent:
- Leaf cutting: the name says it all, with a leaf cutting you carefully remove the leaves from the plant in a rotating movement. You can put the leaves that you have removed in a nice shape against each other. After a while, roots will also grow on the leaves. Then you can plant it in the potting soil.
- Head cutting: with a head cutting you can cut off a whole part of the succulent, you can always use the top part for this. Remove the leaves from the bottom of the cutting. Let the cutting dry for about 2 days, after which you can plant it in a pot with potting soil.
Normally a succulent plant cuttings are easiest by taking a leaf cutting from the plant and cutting it. But with a Crassula cuttings it is better to take a head cutting.
- Head cutting: Cut off one end of the plant and let it dry for a while, after which you can repot this cutting in a new pot.
Cutting a Haworthia is not difficult. You can also take cuttings in two ways: a leaf cutting and a head cutting. A head cutting provides the most certainty for a healthy plant.
- Leaf cutting: you can take a leaf cutting by cutting off a sturdy leaf from the plant. Make sure to do this as close to the mother plant as possible. Then you start cutting the Haworthia by letting the cutting dry for a few hours and putting it back into soil. In the first few weeks you need little or no water.
- Head cuttings: a while after purchasing a Haworthia, runners will grow on the side of your succulent plant. These usually grow on the side of your succulent plant. You can easily cut these off, as close to the mother plant as possible, and then let them dry. You can put it in the soil after a few hours. You do not need to water your cutting for the first few weeks. He has to make carrots first.
Does a Succulent Bloom?
Unfortunately, a succulent almost never grows in our living room. With an Echeveria you have the best chance of flowers. These flowers mainly come in the colors white, yellow, red or pink. The succulent usually flowers in spring and/or summer. The Haworthia and the Crassula flower less quickly than the Echeveria. With these two varieties you see flowers in the color white.
Some succulent species are poisonous. We therefore recommend that you consult a veterinarian or general practitioner when ingesting.
If you take good care of your succulents, they will not be susceptible to diseases quickly. If you see a disease or pest on your succulent plant, you can combat this in a biological way, read the instructions for use on the packaging of the product. You can find pesticides at a garden center near you.
If your succulent suffers from lice, you can easily rinse it off with a strong jet of water.
How can a succulent plant die?
We hope not, of course, but it can happen that a succulent can no longer be saved and will die from either too much water or too little water.
In addition, there are a number of questions that you often ask. We are happy to answer them for you.
- How do you save a succulent plant? The most common reason we see is overwatering a succulent. This will show you that leaves and other parts of the succulent plant turn brown. To save him, we recommend stopping watering for a while until the soil has completely dried.
- What should you do if your plant has had too much water? If you accidentally overwatered your succulent, we recommend that you stop watering for a while. Is your succulent plant in a decorative pot? Then you can also empty the water from the decorative pot.
- How do you bring a plant back to life? If your plant is not doing well, it is wise to give it some extra food. In addition, place the plant in a light spot and still pay close attention to watering.
- How old does a succulent plant get? Succulents can get very old. If you take good care of them, they can last for years. There are many succulents that live as long as 20 to 30 years.
- Why does a succulent plant turn yellow? If a succulent plant turns yellow, it is almost always a sign of drying out. Because the plant has not received water (for a longer period of time), it has had to use its own water supplies. This causes some leaves to turn yellow. You can remove the leaves and water the plant again.
Get inspired by #greenupwithkolibri
Take a look at our period rooms and be inspired. follow us
on Instagram and share your style with #greenupwithkolibri